ORDER OF BENEFICENCE
the fourth Hellenic Order in the hierarchy
ORDER OF BENEFICIENCE
The Order of Beneficence (Order for Good Deeds) was established in 1948, following the death of King George II, in accordance with his wishes. The Order was abolished for a period of two years, from 1973 to 1975, and was later re-established by law n. 106/1975.
The insignia of the Order of Beneficence is awarded only to women, both Greek and foreign citizens, for exceptional services provided to Greece, charitable acts and outstanding achievements in the arts and letters.
The insignia is flower-shaped, with five blue enamel petals separated by long and narrow sepals in green enamel. In the center of the flower there is a depiction of Virgin Mary holding the infant Jesus in her arms. Her picture is surrounded by a white enamel band, upon which the word “BENEFICENCE” is inscribed in gold letters. The reverse side bears the national emblem of the Hellenic Republic, encircled by the inscription: “HELLENIC REPUBLIC”.
The stars of the Grand Cross and of the Grand Commander have eight radiating points and the obverse side of both bears a picture of the Virgin Mary. The ribbon which accompanies the insignia is yellow, with a blue border on both edges.
Like the other Orders, the Order of Beneficence consists of five classes: the Grand Cross, the Grand Commander, the Commander, the Gold and Silver Cross.