hellenic
 
Hellenic Orders and Decorations
 
Order of Beneficence

Legislative Decree 684
(Gov. Gaz. 123, issue A, dated 7 May 1948)

The Order of Beneficence (Order for Good Deeds) was established in 1948, following the death of King George II, in accordance with his wishes. For two years, from 1973-1975, the Order was abolished, but was re-established by the law 106/1975.

The insignia of the Order of Beneficence is awarded only to women, Greek and foreign, for exceptional services rendered to Greece, for charitable acts and for outstanding achievements in the arts and letters.

The insignia is flower-shaped, with five blue enamel petals with long narrow sepals of green enamel between them. In the centre of the flower there is a picture of the Virgin Mary holding the Infant Jesus in her arms. This picture is surrounded by a white enamel band upon which the word “BENEFICENCE” is inscribed in gold letters. The reverse side bears the emblem of the Hellenic Republic, encircled by the inscription “HELLENIC REPUBLIC”.

The stars of the Grand Cross and of the Grand Commander have eight radiating points and the obverse side of both bears a picture of the Virgin Mary. The ribbon which accompanies the insignia is yellow with a blue border on both edges.
Like the other Orders, the Order of Beneficence consists of five classes: the Grand Cross, the Grand Commander, the Commander, the Gold and Silver Cross.